If you ever wanted to use a computer monitor to play your console games, now it’s your chance too. Follow this guide and you will easily be able to play video games using your computer monitor.
Positives of using a computer monitor:
- It free’s up the television in the house
- Allows you to connect to any compatible desktop monitor.
- Connect to any audio speaker that has an aux port
- Gives you the option to use any pair of headphones
If your monitor has no audio speakers
What you need:
- Computer Monitor With HDMI or DVI Port * – See on Amazon
- HDMI (Male) to HDMI (Male) ** – See on Amazon
- Optical Audio Cable – See on Amazon
- Digital to Analog Audio Converter – See on Amazon
- 3.5mm Audio Cable (White/Red) – See on Amazon
- Aux Cable (Male to Male) – See on Amazon
- Listening device (Headphones or Speakers) with Aux input.
*If your computer monitor does not have an HDMI port but has a DVI-D port, than instead of the HDMI to HDMI cable, you will need the ** HDMI (Male) to DVI-D (Male) Cable – See on Amazon.
Setting up Your Monitor
- Plug the Optical Audio Cable into your game console and into the Audio Converter.
- Plug the Audio Cable into the Audio Converter
- For Speakers – Plug the Aux Cable (Male) into the Audio Cable Port (Female)
- For Headphones – Plug the headphones aux cord into the Audio Cable Port (Female)
- Turn on your game console
- Depending on the monitor, on the screen, a message will flash asking for you to adjust your refresh-rate or screen resolution. Apply the new setting.
Now you know how to play your game consoles on any computer monitor with sound. For a soundless monitor to have sound you need to acquire an audio converter and a optical audio cable. Optical audio cables are used for surround sound and home theater stereo systems.